Wedding FAQ

     An exclusive North Yorkshire wedding at The Priests House - FAQ's

Do you have a wedding license for legal marriage ceremonies to take place?

The Priests House and the Old Chapel are both fully licensed to hold civil ceremonies. You cannot have a ceremony outside (not allowed in English law) but you can have a blessing which has no legal connotations. We can put you in touch with a celebrant who can undertake the ceremony.

Do you hold more than one wedding a day?

No​,​ we only permit one wedding per day, so you will have exclusive use of the House, chapel and immediate grounds​, complete privacy for your time with us.​

I only want a small wedding, can I still hold it at The Priests House?

Yes, of course. You will have the option of the House or Chapel for your wedding breakfast. Dates may be limited however on Saturdays.

I would like to use the fabulous Chapel for the ceremony only and have a reception nearer to home?

No problem at all, although again availability on a Saturday in the peak season may be limited.


Can we use our own caterers?

Sorry, no. We are happy to discuss your culinary requirements and tweak our existing menus to suit.


Do you cater for LGBT couples?

Absolutely, yes. We more than welcome all couples and the exclusivity of the venue provides a level of privacy.

Do you have any accommodation?

We are not a hotel. However we do have the Barden Bunk Barn on site located just a stone’s throw away on the other side of the Tower. It can sleep up to 24 people and one of the bedrooms has been converted into a bridal room. Perfect for those who don’t want to worry about driving home, families​ or guests who have travelled a long way and can thus make a weekend of it!


Do you have wheelchair access?

Wheelchairs can gain easy access into the House and ​Old ​Chapel, but the washrooms are upstairs. Best thing to do is discuss such requirements when initially visiting as we can discuss hiring in facilities.

Do the chairs come with covers and sashes?

For the Chapel yes, these are provided as part of the House fee. Wedding breakfasts in the House don’t as we have fabulous chairs inkeeping with the dining room

Can we have live music for our ceremony or reception?

Yes. We have a piano, and there is no problem with a small band in the ​Old ​Chapel. Alternatively many couples have music outside in the orchard on nice summer days…

Do you organise the photographer, flowers etc?

Debbie can certainly arrange your house flowers, bouquets and button holes herself to match your chosen colour scheme. Alternatively it is fine to use your own florist. Similarly, we can put you in touch with other service providers, such as Dave Cropper Photography for your photography who knows the venue inside out, or acts for the evening reception. However you can equally choose your own.

Do you book the Registrar?

No, you must do this directly. It is the Skipton Registrars on 01609 780780.

How much is it to get married at The Priests House?

This very much depends on what you are looking for. As every wedding is unique and every couples' requirements are different we don't force you into set packages. Instead we build up the cost of your big day based on what aspects you want to include.

The Priests House

Barden Tower

Bolton Abbey


North Yorkshire

BD23 6AS

TEL: 01756 720616